Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Breaking ground

I went to Penyem on Sunday with Ebrima for the start of the building of the House. Thirty of the village men were working under the mason digging the trenches for the foundation. It's really happening! It was so exciting to see the foundations taking shape physically, after almost a year of thinking about the House.



Ebrima, Project Manager Extraordinaire





Ebrima and Tamba, the Mason


Kalilu (village Alkalo), Ansu (chairman of the Village Development Committee) and Sanneh (planner)


Lots of the village women had gathered to watch also and I sat with them for awhile under the shade of a mango tree. They laughed at the new Jola expressions I've learned and which babies were scared of me (a "toubab") while others didn't mind me at all.







Next we visited the boys who were making the bricks, out of sand and cement. What hard work! They were super efficient... unlike me when I made my one brick. They had been working for days, and while we were there on Sunday afternoon finished the job. 3636 bricks in all!






Next Saturday, the village will gather for a celebratory meal at the site, and will pour the gravel and sand mixture into the foundation trenches that have been dug. How exciting!

I'll keep sending the updates as the Birthing House continues to take shape physically. Thanks to all who have contributed to supporting the women of Penyem in realizing this dream.


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful story. It should be made known to people here in Canada who are questioning Harper's stand on aid for maternal care to the third world. This project shows the results of aid when used correctly.
    I commend you for your work there and also your parents for their generosity and enthusiasm. God bless.

    ReplyDelete